Tuesday, July 24, 2012

mudane life is actually what it's all about

The last few weeks would be what most people consider mundane, average days in the life of a family of 5 but when I stop to think about them, they seem special to me.
Kalen has started speaking a tremendous amount.  He is now into Transformers Rescue Bots and walks around the house chanting "watch bots! watch bots!" until I put the tv show on.  He likes to say "Bots, roll out!" and the other day when he was playing with a Bumblebee toy, he kissed the robot goodbye when it was time to put it away.  He likes to repeat whatever we're saying which leads to very funny phrases!  And if you ask him where the baby is, he will point to his own belly and say "no!!!"  I also got some adorable video of Kalen fighting the oscillating fan the other day.  Usually he doesn't care about the fan but b/c it was oscillating, I think he thought it was a robot.  He kept trying to sneak up behind it before it turned and "saw" him.  Very hilarious!
Isabel is anxiously awaiting the start of kindergarten and the arrival of the baby.  She says that "it is taking forever" and so we often talk about how long it takes for a baby to grow.  She is also really excited that this baby is a boy.  She likes being the only girl and hopes to keep all the baby clothes for her dolls!  She really loves being with my mom and asks to spend the night with Mamaw all the time.  Isabel has really bad bags under her eyes.  We finally realized that it didn't have to do with sleep and took her to the doctor.  The doctor had FIVE vials of blood drawn, which was no fun for anyone involved, to test for allergies and anemia.  All her results came back normal and the doctor said this just may be how Izzy looks.  We do put Aquafor below her eyes before she goes to bed at night and it seems to help a little.  Hopefully she can outgrow it at some point.
Sam is learning a new thing---to talk back to mom and dad.  Last week, we had a HUGE fight with him about doing some school work before he was allowed to play DS.  His new thing to say when he gets in trouble is "you hate me.  I'll go live with another family.  No matter what I do, you always tell me I'm wrong."  You get the idea?!  It's miserable!  To know that as a parent you need to discipline your child which sometimes includes taking away fun things or yelling and then when you do those things, he completely breaks down and accuses you of not loving him?  Ugh!  It is the hardest thing we've dealt with so far.  Kurtis has really struggled with it.  After a total meltdown last Wed, we decided to have Kurtis take Sam to LaComedia Dinner Theater to see "Seussical the Musical".  I'd been feeling bad lately and haven't gone out much b/c of it so I thought it would be a good "guys night out".  Apparently Sam loved it!  The buffet included green eggs and ham and Sammy stuffed himself on ham!  He also tried the cod and enjoyed it.  I'm excited that he's trying new things!  As far as the show goes, he called me on the drive home to tell me that "it was awesome and the best day of his life!"  Totally worth it if you ask me:)  He has been more adventurous in trying foods.  He recently tried spagettios with meatballs and sloppy joes!  I told him that the manwich was ketchup and he gulped it up.  His new favorite is McDonald's Spicy Chicken Bites!  He eats like a horse.  I can only imagine what it will be like when he's a teenager.
Lastly, our little bitty baby is making me work like crazy!  He has now started kicking whenever I sit still which is fun for the kids.  Sam likes getting kicked!  I haven't had any more spotting in the last month which opened up a lot of possibilities.  Primarily, I'm back on cleaning duty!  We went yesterday for our 20 week ultrasound and the little darling was sitting "indian style" so the technician was trying creative ways to get him to spread those legs.  Even though we pretty much knew he was a boy (we had an ultrasound at 15 wks), we wanted it confirmed and he was not so cooperative.  At one point, she was able to get a picture of his boy part and the stinker was moving away from her!  It was pretty funny to watch!  She also managed to get an adorable picture of his feet where his ankles were crossed (from sitting indian style).  And something we've never witnessed with any of our other kids, he had the hiccups during the ultrasound and you could see his little belly moving each time!  Kurtis was astounded by that!  I never get tired of ultrasounds.  Seeing the baby is a whole new experience every time and it makes it so much more real as you're going through pregnancy.
Kurtis is still my angel in so many ways.  Not only does he work his tail off but he makes sure to take the kids to swim lessons each Tuesday and take a parent/child swim class with Kalen.  He is president of the Home Owners Association and is secretary for the Elders' Quorom at church.  Work hasn't sent him on any trips this year....yet!  But they do have him studying to take a test to further his security clearance and that is adding some additional pressure to his workload.
I am soon to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the day I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Most people would say that it isn't a big deal and very few celebrate their baptism anniversary.  But for me, it changed my life!  So many things that have happened in the last decade have affirmed to me that I made the right choice.  Though at times family relationships were strained b/c I became a "mormon", I've truly become the Greta I think I'm meant to be b/c of it.  Of course, the added bonuses are named Kurtis, Sam, Isabel, Kalen and "baby boy eber".  I know that the Lord has always had a plan for me but I struggled to find it (sometimes I still struggle).  But I know He loves me and I know He has way more faith in me than I do in Him.  He really thinks I'm a special lady to allow me the blessings I have in my life.  For that reason, I'll work harder than ever to make sure that I'm worthy of them.  I don't think I'll ever forget Aug.3, 2002!  It was one of the hardest and yet greatest days of my life.  I love the life I have today and I know I wouldn't have it if I hadn't joined the church.
Overall, the last few weeks have been great in reminding me that I love being a mom!  My kids are growing and sometimes you have growing pains but look at what happens when you stop to look at who you're becoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment