The very beginning of October was an exciting moment. A gal from church works for a high-risk OB/GYN at Miami Valley Hospital. She had told me that the office was getting a new 3D ultrasound machine and wanted to know if I would be a belly model for them to practice. Now, this is the one and only time I've ever been asked to be a "model" of any sort so I jumped on it! It also helped that I get free 3D shots of the baby. I really never pay for the 3D pics b/c they are expensive and really for Sam and Izzy, 3D was still a pretty new gig. But this has been so exciting with this guy. I had to lay on my back for an hour which was a bit killer but to see my little guy in there moving and such; it is truly a miraculous thing to see ultrasounds. I don't care what anyone says! Sonograms are almost divine in their abiltiy to show me this child growing inside of me. I could not and still cannot get over how much he resembles his siblings! I think I'll have another Kalen-looking boy in the house!
The kids will tell you that the best part of October was Uncle Joe's wedding! It was, in the words of Sam, "the best day of his life"!! Sam was the ringbearer and Izzy was flower girl. They were truly adorable. Izzy wore a gorgeous little gown that cost a fortune but I got it big enough that she will wear it for the next two years:) And Sam was hot stuff in a rented tux that matched the groom and groomsmen. Each of the kids changed into jammies by the time the dance music started and let's just say that the little mormon kids cut a rug on the dance floor. Sam even managed to clear the entire dance floor for his break-dancing skills. It made this very pregnant, hormonal woman sob a few times as I watched my brother's face light up with pure happiness as he married Karrie. I love my brother dearly and to see him so happy and to be a part of it was just overwhelming for me. He even asked Kurtis to say a blessing on the food at the reception. That fact that he included my kids and husband on such a special day warmed my heart! It really was a lot of fun, even though the travelling was tiring! I thank my Lord above for this crazy, frustrating, loving family that I have.
I also decided to make them a quilt as a wedding present. It was the first quilt and I've learned a few things from the experience. 1. Never make your first quilt as a gift for someone else. 2. Give yourself more than six weeks to make a quilt for someone. 3. Measure more than twice before you cut. 4. Sewing/cutting fabric while you are eight months pregnant will result in the fabric shifting every time you lean over to cut it. The belly obstructs all ability to cut and measure! That being said, I ended up very proud with the final result and look forward to trying again with making quilts for my kids and myself!
Lastly, I'll tell a little story of the infamous "belly" picture. Every time I've been pregnant, as my belly expands my belly button (which is normally an "inny") becomes an "outy". Kurtis and I always laugh about how much it looks like a nose and how I should draw a face on my belly just for fun. Well, this year, with Halloween around the corner, there are stickers everywhere for pumpkin decorating. I just decided that since this is my last pregnancy, I should go for it and used the stickers to decorate my "pumpkin". Now I'm extremely self-conscious of my stretch marks and such but it really is too funny to not share. And it really turned out perfect. Kalen spent all day demanding that I lift my shirt up so he could see the "silly" as he called it. It brought such humor to our family for a day and my kids just couldn't get enough of it!

No comments:
Post a Comment