Thursday, October 3, 2013
a chance to teach again
My last year of teaching music in the public school setting was 2003-2004. Long story short, the principal and I had a difference of opinion and I was told constantly throughout that year how I was a terrible teacher, I had no business teaching kids and I "lacked enthusiasm" as a classroom teacher. Kurtis and I had just married and were hoping to have kids so I went ahead and quit teaching, thinking this was the Lord's way of giving me an easy out. But over the years, I have thought alot about what she said. I felt that I was a horrible teacher, that I could never go back to teaching, that I had failed in the life calling. I've even had recurrent nightmares that I couldn't get a teaching job. Last Jan, I was asked to teach music to the children at church. I've been doing it since. I was so worried (am still worried) that I wouldn't be good at it, that I would damage the kids somehow by teaching it incorrectly. This month I've been asked to teach a class for other music teachers from different congregations in our area. I'm to give a 45 minute lesson on techniques to help the kids learn. What a humbling and overwhelming gift I've been given! A chance to redeem myself and maybe see that teaching is a calling that I don't have to give up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Anyone who has seen you teach primary would say there is no need to redeem yourself. You keep the children interested, laughing, and enjoying their music time while learning the music. That principal was WAY out of line.
ReplyDelete