Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Never negotiate with terrorists, but what about toddlers?

Kal's 5th birthday party is in 5 days so naturally last night he freaks out and tells his dad that he doesn't want a Ninja Turtle birthday party.  He wants a GI Joe party, meaning everything camo.  Of course, I've already purchased everything Ninja Turtle.  Of course, we are down to one car and I can't get to the store to even track down a bunch of camo decorations.  Of course, he was fine with Ninja Turtles when I bought the stuff 3 weeks ago.  Of course, of course, of course.
Take a deep breath.  Calm down.  In the grand scheme of things, this is NOT the end of the world.....it's just that he WILL have a tantrum at his party, he WILL make a huge deal of it, he WILL make my life difficult for the next week unless I find a solution.  Relax.  It's okay. You have a college degree.  Surely there is some way to calm this tense toddler and help him find reason.  Negotiate, find any and all ways to convince him that he WANTS a Ninja Turtle party.  Get your game face on and give it to him straight.
"All right buddy; how about this?  We'll get some GI Joe plates and cups but we'll put the Ninja Turtle decorations up around the house."
"Can I have a GI Joe cake?"
"Yes, I'll make a GI Joe cake instead of the turtles if we can just use the decorations and pinata with the Turtles."
"Can we hang up the Turtle decorations TODAY?"
"Yes, we'll hang up the Turtle decorations today and leave them up all week.  Then I'll make a GI Joe cake and we'll get camo plates and cups."
"Okay!"
And that folks is WHY I have Ninja Turtle decorations all over my house a week before Thanksgiving....and I should add we also have Bubble Guppies decorations on the other side of the house b/c Zeke's birthday is two days after Kal.  Now, admit it, didn't that give you a good laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment