When I was growing up if we went anywhere with Grandpa Snapp, it seemed like he would always run into someone he knew. Inevitably we would be stuck there for 20 minutes while he talked to this random person about the weather, the date, and what happened on the Price Is Right. I seemed to think, as a kid, that Grandpa knew everyone! Truly, he knew everybody. But something happened today that made me pause and think a little bit.
While at Walmart, esp. in the morning when they only have one lane open, a few people started getting in line behind me at the checkout counter. Now usually as I pile my 4th gallon of milk and 15 lunchables on the belt, I start to get the dirty looks...you know, from the people who can't be bothered to wait 10 minutes on the woman with the toddler in tow and several boxes of Fudge Rounds. But today as the lady behind me smiled, I found myself saying "I'm sorry. I have 4 kids so I get a lot at the store." She said "oh honey, I'm just smiling at your little boy. You have 4 kids? Oh, I get it; you're justifying all the lunchables." She proceeded to grin and start a pleasant conversation with me. "How old are you kids? I'm having my grandson over this weekend. That's why I'm buying junk food that I wouldn't normally buy and I never bought for my own kids. Grandkids are wonderful to spoil." On and on and on. Even the cashier began to smile and giggle at responses or waved to Zeke as he said thank you for his chips. As I walked away, I had a huge smile on my face, Zeke was happy and putting everything in the van, I'm thinking "Wow, I wish every encounter I had with people was like that."
And it continued!
Next we went to Hobby Lobby and sure enough as I buying some fabric that I probably shouldn't have bought, I start a conversation with the woman in front of me. She has a granddaughter the same age as Zeke and isn't it a fun age?! It was so uplifting to feel like there were just nice people to chat with. Not grumpy people rushing to get everywhere.
And here comes my epiphany! Grandpa didn't know everybody in the world but he treated everyone he came in contact with as if he did know them! He treated each person at the store, on the sidewalk or at the auction as if they were a close personal friend. That was kind of a generational thing and what a sweet thing to inherit. Imagine if we treated everyone this way instead of being in a hurry, giving a dirty look, or acting entitled when someone forces us to slow down in our daily lives. Oh, it was such a great morning for me. Such an amazing way to look back at my Grandpa and see his truly amazing gestures that I took for granted all these years. Maybe it's just my imagination but I have a feeling that Grandpa is looking over me today and smiling, saying "that's my girl!"
That is so sweet Greta. My Grandma was the same way, I bet that was her thought too. Thank you for sharing...I'm going to feel a little bit closer to her now as I chat with the random stranger.
ReplyDelete