In the past I've made posts about the kind of friend I perceive myself to be. I've been totally aware of the fact that I'm not always the best friend. I have lamented that fact that I sometimes see groups of women who ban together as friends and I feel left out. But other times I've been the first to admit that I can't be friends with everyone. There are women who are so much like me that I tend to not be friends with them (b/c we butt heads). I also have noticed that while there are women who are friends with someone they've known since kindergarten, I tend to be a "friend of the season" type. All of this is in the wacky and wild world I like to call "my brain". So I've had some interesting encounters lately, I'd like to have an honest reflection (and maybe confession) of the friend I am.
I am outgoing and can talk to just about anyone. But I do get lonely. And sometimes, I like being alone and even, dare I admit, I like being quiet!
I'm a gal that lots of people know but I'm not always the first person you think of. I'm dependable (when I want to be).
I am fiercely loyal but once I feel betrayed or hurt, it's hard for me to forgive and forget.
When I tell you that I love you, I mean it. I say it a lot but it's true. I have a genuine love for people, esp. friends. If I say I love you, it means I care for you. I care what happens to you. I care if you are sad, happy, mad, overwhelmed or just flat out BLEH. I may not always be right there or say the right thing or do the right thing but I care about you and I'll be what I can be for you.
I have a temper and sometimes it gets me in trouble. I'm aware of this issue and believe it or not, I'm getting better. But that fire that fuels my temper also fuels my love, my determination and my perseverance. When that temper is working in your defense, it doesn't seem all that bad, now does it?
I have good intentions (almost always--98% of the time). I don't mean to be harsh or negative. And sometimes if I do come off as a hard-nosed, it's b/c I'm exercising tough love with you. And yes, I believe in tough love. I believe sometimes the best friend you can have is someone who tells you to get over yourself. And yes, I've had people tell me to get over myself.
I've sometimes hurt people I love and care about. I like to think that I've always gone back and said I'm sorry but if I haven't and you're still hurt, let me know. Let's work it out.
Bottom line--I want to be a good person. I want to be a good friend. I want to be someone that you think of and smile. I want to be a Greta that people will be glad to have known. But I'm also not perfect and I'm a work in progress. And that's okay. Why am I reflecting today? Maybe I needed to get out my thoughts. Maybe I needed a reminder of who I am. Maybe I needed friends out there to know that I mean what I say and yes, I goof up a lot but in my heart, I'm giving all I've got.
No comments:
Post a Comment