Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Raggedy Ann's 100th Birthday party

Most children have some sort of stuffed animal or blanket that they attach to at a young age. My oldest son loves his Blues' Clues stuffed animal.  For my daughter, it's her giraffe blanky that Uncle Joe bought her when she was 6 months old.  For me (even as a 35 year old woman), it was and still is Raggedy Ann.  I got my first Raggedy Ann when I was 2yo and a "little old church lady" made one for me.  Through the years as I utterly destroyed a doll b/c I drug her everywhere, I would get another Ann (known as "Aggie" to my childhood self).  I still have all my old Aggies and love them still.  Raggedy Ann has been everywhere with me.  I even took her to the hospital with me when I had all four c-sections for my children.  So of course, I wanted to be in Arcola, IL this past weekend when Raggedy collectors from everywhere celebrated our special little red-headed ragdoll.  And to make it extra special, my husband and I took along our 8 year old daughter to celebrate.....and party we did.
Arcola, IL is about a 4.5 hour drive from our Ohio home. It also happens to be the birthplace of Raggedy Ann's creator, Johnny Gruelle.  Arcola is smalltown USA and I love it.  Truly a midwestern little town, it has a brick Main St complete with a train track that runs right through town.  It is also pretty much Amish country which means great food, horse and buggies, and kind friendly people.  There is a little Arcola Depot which house a mini-Raggedy Ann museum as well as a Hippie Memorial, a Memorial to Johnny Gruelle and the famous "Walldog Murals" which are all over the little town.







For several years, the Arcola Chamber of Commerce held an annual Raggedy Festival which turned into a Raggedy Gathering (held in Arcola, collectors' homes in Ohio, Florida and elsewhere) and then last year was deemed a Raggedy Rally.  This year it was a Raggedy Gathering for her 100th birthday and collectors came from everywhere (as far as Japan!).  It was one of those few times where it is okay to see a grown woman (or man) carrying around a rag doll.  There were even a few dressed as a Rag doll.  I just wore a tutu (and only for an afternoon).  Friday began with a cemetery crawl and mural crawl around town.  Susie Partridge, a town native and Raggedy Ann/Arcola expert, led the events.  Later in the day was some Raggedy purchasing and a Friday night dinner that also held a silent/live auction to help fund next year's gathering.  It was attended by 200 enthusiastic collectors.  For me, it was particularly fun to see people that I met last year and have gotten to know on Facebook Raggedy pages.  It was a great night.  Highlights of the night (beyond seeing old and new friends and good food) included seeing Joni Gruelle Wannamaker, granddaughter of Johnny Gruelle and hearing from special guest William Carpenter who recently purchased and is renovating a home in Indianapolis that belonged to Johnny Gruelle's parents.  May amazing raggedy items were auctioned off and many people brought their rare Volland Raggedy Ann dolls. Volland was the original producer of Raggedy Ann in 1915.
Saturday started off fast and furious with the Vendors' Barn opening bright and early.  There was a makeover doll contest where various Raggedy Anns were put in costumes and then the people voted on various categories.  Joni Gruelle Wannamaker signed all licensed dolls.  And the fabulous Patty Hall, raggedy author and musician, gave a us a little concert.  There were also a kids' coloring contest, an ice cream social, and a conga line (led by yours truly) around the vendors booths out the door to the depot and then eventually down Main St. Arcola!  Now you see why I had to have a tutu.  There was even an impromptu dance party outside the depot where we "did the Hokey Pokey and turned ourselves around" because, you know, that's what it's all about!











Saturday night was the grand finale of a Saturday birthday party where around 200 people gathered together to chat, celebrate and honor Johnny Gruelle and his Raggedy creations.  Patty Hall gave a little presentation of the history of Raggedy Ann.  There was a great buffet.  The Girl Scout Troops came and sang to us and sang Happy Birthday to Raggedy Ann as a LARGE Cupcake Tower was presented.  I did not get a lot of pictures of the goings-ons because I was off talking, laughing, hugging, and photographing friends and fellow collectors but I borrowed a few pictures to show.  Some amazing volunteers, primarily Kathy and John Ellis, had an amazing display of Raggedy characters through the years.

We headed home during the wee hours of the night after the party but what a great time it was!  I was so excited to go with my little Izzy and share something with her.  I'm still astonished over  a year later at the kinship I share with a lot of these other collectors. They are just dear, dear friends and I love the comraderie that we share.  It is all thanks to a little ragdoll with the candy heart.  After all, Raggedy Ann's biggest legacy is that she "loves you"!



No comments:

Post a Comment