Thursday, November 15, 2012

sometimes you remember....

While taking Isabel to school today, I saw an elderly man walking down the street.  I did not know him and he did not resemble anyone I knew but he caused a spark in my heart that made me think of my Grandpa Snapp (my mom's dad).  Grandpa passed away April 21, 1997, almost a month before I graduated high school.  I remember my graduation being a little difficult b/c Grandpa wasn't in pictures and couldn't be there; his passing, at the time, was too fresh.  For several years, I made a point of visiting his grave every year on his birthday.  My mom still places Christmas lights on his headstone every Christmas Eve b/c it was his favorite holiday.  I wish I could say that I've kept the tradition of visiting his grave every year but I haven't.  I've gone on to start/finish college, start/finish a career and start a family.  At times I get so caught up in life that I go without thinking of him.  There was a time that I would've felt guilty over that but I've learned a few things.
Just b/c I don't think of Grandpa every single day doesn't mean that I've forgotten him or stopped loving him.  At times, Kalen will do something and I'm certain that Grandpa has whispered ornery ideas into my little toddler's head as he's sleeping!  I'm blessed to occassionally dream of Grandpa or his house and I wake up knowing that he's looking in on me.  I sometimes ponder the amount of trouble that Grandpa and my beloved Kurtis would've gotten themselves into had they had time together on this earth.  Trust me, the two of them are as mischievous as they come and I would've had my hands full if those two had time to "play".  I know that there will come a day when I will see him again and I know that the reunion will be sweet and full of love.
In a few weeks, I'll be giving birth to my last child--another little boy.  His middle name will be Robert in honor of Robert Wilson Snapp.  Robert is also the name of my mother's brother, my dear Uncle Bob, who passed away of cancer a few years ago.  Fittingly, this baby will be delivered on my Uncle Bob's birthday.
At times we move forward in our lives and seem to not think of loved ones who have passed on but that doesn't stop them from being in our hearts.  I know that they look in on us and rejoice that we've found a way to move on in life and find happiness despite their absence.  And I know that there will come a day when we will see each other again.  But until then, take the little moments when they seep into your thoughts and just enjoy the remembering.....

2 comments:

  1. Greta,

    I can relate my Grandma (Mom's mom) passed away in January of '98, my Senior year. It really stung not having her there for one of the most important days of my life..BUT..there is a bright side to the story, I did her work last year, so I will definately see her again :)!!!

    I love our church and that it allows us to do the work of family members that have passed on so that we can be reunited!!

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful Greta. It really was.

    ReplyDelete