Friday, November 30, 2012

the Grand Finale of the Kurtis Eber family!

November 29, 2012--
Kurtis and I were on our way to Miami Valley South Hospital at 4:30am, I checked in at 5:30am, and my c-section was scheduled for 7:30am.  Everything actually ran on time and a healthy baby boy was born at 7:45am.  My OB/GYN actually commented on how solid he looked and was sure he was a chunky baby.  With my baby history, we thought he might be right.  The baby measured in at 7 lbs. 13 oz and Dr. Imbody said "really?  he looks bigger!  Are you sure it's not 8 lbs. 13 oz?"  Very funny.  The baby was actually crying as soon as his face was showing.  Once they got his head out, he really started squalling!!  He didn't calm down until he was dressed and in Daddy's arms but he didn't open his eyes (it's very bright in the OR) until Mommy talked to him!
My blood pressure had dropped repeatedly during the surgery so it went in waves-one minute I would feel great; the next minute I was certain I was going to faint.  It was very rough in that aspect.  Once the drs started my tubal ligation, things got very rough for me.  My blood pressure dropped considerably and the medication wasn't working fast enough to keep me from throwing up on the operating table.  You know those tubes that they use at the dentist--the ones that suction up your spit as they clean your teeth?  Well, when you are throwing up on an operating table while assuming the "crucifix position", they use a much bigger suction tube to catch the vomit.  Too much information!  Well, now we all know what to expect if you are ever in the situation that I was in!  After that lovely moment, we stabilized my blood pressure but I was suffering from pain in my neck and a headache that was working behind my eyes.  It was the first c-section where they've let me wear my glasses so I could actually see my baby and I had to ask that they take my glasses away b/c I was so nauseous from the headache.  They used cold rags to calm down my body temp and help with the headache.  Once I was completely stitched up,  I felt much better.  Off to recovery, we went.
It took me a great deal of time for the spinal block to wear off so I went about 3 hrs without feeling my legs.  I was told I had to stay laying flat on my back b/c of the blood pressure roller coaster.  It was so hard to hold the baby b/c he ended up laying kind of upside-down while I held him so I really didn't hold him for the first 2.5 hrs of his life.  My mom actually held him before I did--and she's very excited about that fact.  Kurtis fed him his first bottle.  Once he got a bath, was swaddled, and in Daddy's arms, he settled right down and fell asleep.  He barely cried after that.
 It took us a few hours to name him.  Kurtis wanted me to hold him first before deciding on a name.  And since I was laying flat, I didn't hold him for so long.  We finally settled on Ezekiel Robert Eber.  Ezekiel came from me liking the name "Zeke" but Kurtis insisting that he have a professional name for when he was an adult.  He also looks a great deal like Sam as an infant and we thought well, Sam is named for an Old Testament prophet so should this one.  And actually, b/c Kalen's first name is Joseph, they are all named after an Old Testament prophet:)  Robert is from my grandfather (Mom's Dad) who passed away when I was a senior in high school.  My mom's brother was also "Robert" and the baby was born on Uncle Bob's 70th birthday so Robert seemed extremely fitting!
The rest of the day was a series of naps, feedings, and me just trying to sit up for a few spurts at a time.  Around 5pm, Sam, Izzy, and Kal made their way into the room with Grandma and Grandpa Eber.   Isabel held the baby first and several times after!  She was very excited.  Sammy held a few times as well but when it came time to go home, he began to cry that he did not get to stay overnight in the hospital with us.  He kissed me and Zeke repeatedly and finally was convinced to go home and come visit the next day after school.  I was fortunate to email pictures of the baby to both Izzy's and Sammy's teachers.  Apparently, both teachers showed the entire class the pictures and Sammy and Izzy got to tell everyone the baby's name and  how exciting it is to be a big brother/sister.  They each got a new shirt that said "Big Brother" or "Big Sister", including Kalen.  Kalen was not too impressed with the new baby.  He did have a moment where he came over and said "Baby, sweet!"  and then walked off.  He would not have anything to do with me in the hospital bed.  I think it freaked him out.  Hopefully he'll get over the next time they bring him by.
It was a full day!  Very joyous and tiring!  But thank Heavens he's here to be loved and adored.  Final stats: Ezekiel "Zeke" Robert Eber born Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:45am.  Weighing 7 lbs. 13 oz and 19.5 inches long.  A bit of dark brown hair and chubby cheeks.  A beautiful boy that I'm totally in love with! 
I'm thankful for good doctors, a fabulous husband who never left my side, healthy babies, and a Father in Heaven who kept us in His Hands at all times.  Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me a bit weepy. Isn't it just beautiful and amazing how we love them so much from the very first moment, And in that instant your whole life changes. What a beautiful family you have Greta. Love you! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a doll and I can't wait to see him in person!!!

    ReplyDelete