Tuesday, March 26, 2013

growing up is hard to do

When I was in elementary school, my best friend was the girl that I always hoped would be in the same class as me.  We would have sleepovers at each others house and played together at recess always (esp. when we weren't in the same class).
When I was in high school, my best friend was the girl that I passed notes to in the hallway, sat with at lunch, called as soon as I got home b/c I had to tell her the news from the day and we NEVER went to the mall without each other.
When I was in college, my best friends were the girls who I roomed with, who were my cohorts in crime, the girl I cried to when I got dumped and hung out with when I got stressed.
Now as a woman in her thirties, with four kids and a husband and house to take care of, my demands for a  best friend have totally changed.  Yes, my husband is my best friend but when I think about my "girl", my best friend, two women come to mind.  Neither one sees me on a daily basis.  In fact, I'm lucky if I get to say hi to either one at church on Sunday.  We don't know what is going on in each other's lives all the time but we know when the big stuff is happening.  We try to make sure to acknowledge each other on our birthdays and when we do get to spend time together or see each other, there are a lot of hugs!  And I know I can call them when I need to be "talked down from the ledge" that motherhood sometimes has me up on. 
At times I look back over the years and realize that I no longer keep in touch with my best friend from elementary school, high school, or college.  Some of the girls that were the biggest part of my growing up aren't even friends on Facebook.  It makes me sad sometimes and I feel guilt for the changes in my life.  But I'm happy with who I am and I know I wouldn't be me if it weren't for those girls in my life.  Still, I see how friendships mean different things as an adult.  I'm okay to stand on my own without my "girls" around me but I know they will be there when I do need them and that's the important thing.
Growing up is hard to do but honestly, I kinda glad that I've done it.

5 comments:

  1. I think we definitely need girl friends. They are necessary! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin always says he worries when we move that I can find friends. Sometimes I have had only a handful of them, other times they are a handful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cute! I don't worry about you finding friends! you are too lovable :)

      Delete
  3. Greta...this was a beautiful and thoughtful post. I love how you can put things into words just so perfectly! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Cindy, I'm not sure I put into words perfectly but maybe you just understand me:) I love you too! I should probably add that my "best friends" are more like sisters to me :)

    ReplyDelete