When I was 17yo, I was a senior in high school. I was going to graduate in May and start college in the Fall. Two weeks after starting Wittenberg Univ, I turned 18! I knew myself (or so I thought). I was a good person. I was smart and I knew where I wanted to go and who I was.
By the time I turned 22, I had graduated college in the spring and was just beginning my career as a teacher! I had my own apartment, I had a good job that I loved, and I knew who I was and what I wanted.....though I had discovered along the way that I was not who I thought I was at 18 and I was not where I thought I would be. I was still a good person, I thought I was smart and I thought I turned out pretty good.
By 25yo, I was a newlywed (married a little over a year), expecting my first child and giving up my "career" to become a mother! I owned a house (with my husband), I had dinner on the table when he got home from work. I felt I was even smarter than before and I REALLY knew I was.
By the time I was 30, I was expecting my THIRD child! We were in the process of buying our second home (and trying to sell our first) and I had learned that motherhood was my career (one that I would never retire from). By then I was certain of who I was and I was starting to realize that I was not any wiser than when I was 17!
In a few days I will turn the wizened 34 years of age. In all my time on earth I have earned a high school diploma and a Bachelor's degree. I have had a teaching career and learned a viable skill using music and sharing my passion of it. I have married (and so far, stayed married) to an amazing man who loves me unconditionally and quite honestly, he puts up with all my crud when I'm pretty sure everyone else would run from if they could. I have given birth to four amazingly beautiful, healthy and vibrant children (and no, I'm not biased in the least). I consider myself a somewhat knowledgable woman though I'm sure I lack certain common sense. But as I think about this past year and the ups and downs, I'm not sure I'm any wiser. I think I know who I am but I REALLY know who I want to be.....I'm just not her yet. I'm not as patient as she is. I'm not as compassionate as she is. I'm not nearly as smart as she is. And well, I just don't know if I'll ever be as beautiful as she is BUT I'm trying! I'm a little more tolerant than last year. I'm way better at sympathizing than I was last year. I'm trying to complain less (some days are better than others). I try to work harder and even play harder as well. I volunteer more than last year. And I'm learning to be kinder in my honesty.
What I'm trying to say is...I know I have a lot of things to improve upon. I still don't really know who I am but I know who I'm not. I know what I've accomplished. I know what I want to still achieve. I don't mind getting older as long as I still enjoy the good things, the fun things, the things that make life worth living, the things that keep you young in spite of your age. So I'll smile when my birthday comes along and I'll remind myself that the Greta I am at 34yo is still a good Greta...until she gets even better!
Beautifully put. You are pretty darn amazing and just realizing that we are a work in progress is very wise indeed.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny how we keep meeting ourselves over and over again? Makes life interesting for sure. ;)
ReplyDelete