I'm sitting at the kitchen table, writing out bills when an odor wafts over from the living room. I instinctively recognize that smell....Kalen's diaper. It never ends. Nevermind the fact that I changed his diaper 15 minutes ago. Now he has a nice, fresh, new diaper in which to do his dirty deed. It makes him feel good to have a clean diaper to soil. Alas, motherhood!
As I write out yet another bill, I watch the amount in our checking account quickly dwindle before my very eyes. The excitement of the oncoming paycheck is only thrilling b/c it will finally alleviate the mound of bills piling on top of the kitchen counter. Alas, motherhood!
I watch my children sit in front of the TV, watching Tom and Jerry and wonder "should I feel guilty that the TV is on usually 6-8 hours a day, though they probably only watch it for 2 of those hours. At least the homework is done, right? Alas, motherhood!
How did I ever feel it would be glamorous? Why did I not envision endless diapers, dinners preparing to be made...every....single...day, bills that always seem to come back each month, laundry that will NEVER END (even after I'm dead). I probably sound pretty ungrateful or, dare I say, whiny! But the truth is that I am grateful....but I'm also a mom. My job never ends, my chores are repeated daily (sometimes hourly), and I'm just not one of those women that can always see the positive. Oh, don't get me wrong, I see the positive often enough and never would I trade dirty diapers for no diapers at all (if it means no little ones). I'll even take the laundry if it means my kids and husband are taken care of. And never would I allow someone else to take care of my crew! They are mine....heart and soul and I love that I'm the person for them. So why am I ranting on about this.....
Well, for one reason, I haven't written in my blog lately and knew I needed to do it. And let's face it, I didn't necessarily having anything exciting to write about....why? Alas, motherhood!
Secondly, I figure if I'm feeling this way, then there is a good chance someone else is too....so why not share? And hopefully, that someone else will feel a little better when they have to change that dirty diaper.
Thirdly, I've been a funk lately. I've grumbled that I feel like the Lord isn't giving me what I want. And maybe he isn't. But he's given me more than just what I need. He's given me a WHOLE LOT more than I deserve. What do you ask is this uber-special gift that I've been overwhelmingly blessed with.....Alas, MOTHERHOOD!
And while I would like to elaborate further, I need to go change a diaper, fold four loads of laundry, and put dinner in the oven....
Ah, Alas, motherhood!
I'm pretty sure you have great company Greta and are not the only mom to feel this way! I was just barely telling Mike while I washed the dishes something similar. It's like I wash them, I empty the dishwasher, I cook, I wash them, I empty the dishwasher, I cook....it just goes on and on.
ReplyDeleteI miss you and wish I could come visit you. We could complain about our endless chores together.
Great perspective Greta!
ReplyDelete