Thursday, August 20, 2015

what you really see when you stop to look

In an earlier post, I mentioned how the kids were forced to switch school districts with a little over a week before school started.  I mentioned how they handled it so well and had great attitudes.  But I've really stopped and watched things come together and recognized God's Hands in many of the small details.  And honestly, it would be wrong of me not to share.
When we got the call about Sammy switching schools, I was really upset and distraught.  But I wiped off my tears, loaded the kids up and headed to the new school to register him.  It was a welcome surprise when I realized that the principal of Sammy's school is our neighbor gal who lives across the street.  It was also a blessing that the school librarian was in the office when I was signing him up.  She listened to me tell the secretary all of what had happened.  Then as we were finishing paperwork, she said "I have a few minutes.  Can I give you a tour of the school?"  She then proceeded to take me and my 4 kiddos around the building, showing Sam where music, art, gym, lunch, the restrooms, library, his homeroom, where EVERYTHING was.  As we were walking out the door, Sam hugged her and she said "I'm a hugger too!"  When I went to pick him up from his first day of school, the librarian was standing next to Sam outside the school.  She saw him waiting for me and talked to him. Then he hugged her as he walked to the van.
At Izzy's school registration, I got a text from my sister saying that one of the 3rd grade teachers taught both my nephews and was close to my sister.  Mrs. Landes had told Tara to have me request her.  Well, school started in a week and I was pretty sure they wouldn't like me requesting a teacher but I did it. And got the run-around.  The secretary and principal both said they didn't think it would happen but someone would call me the next day and let me know what happened.  No one called me the next day.  I called the principal and he said he would speak to Mrs. Landes and personally call me back later and tell me what was decided.  I received a call in less than an hour later.  The neighbor girl/principal I mentioned earlier?  Yeah, she called the other principal and told him we were good people and he should work with us.  Then he spoke to Mrs. Landes and she said she would love to have Isabel.  He called me back and she was put with Mrs. Landes.  When we went to Open House two days later, Izzy ran up to Mrs. Landes and hugged her. At their first meeting!  For Isabel that is huge!  To make it more special, on her first day, my dad went to take Izzy and drop her off.  He asked the principal if he could walk her to her class and Mr. Burkholder said "I'm going that way, why don't you let me take her."  He held her hand and walked her right into the school.
Kalen's transition seemed to be easier b/c he hadn't started any school yet.  But as we started to do the registering process, we were met with friendly faces yet again.  One of the special ed teachers at Kal's school has a son who had been attending Bethel with Sammy and we've known her for a few years now.  She was at kindergarten assessment, the open house, and there on the first day of school.  Kal looks for her and waves when he sees her.  My mom and dad also know the secretary at Kal's school from when my nephews were in elementary school and she has really helped me to stay calm and reassured.
How could it be that the Lord knew I would need these little reassurances?  Maybe He wasn't sure I would notice.  But I did!  I've been so aware of His presence through all of this.  Even when we were at Children's Hospital this past weekend with Zeke, a friend of church was getting off of work and stopped in to see us.  The Lord has been walking alongside me the last two weeks and I've noticed!  I've seen His Hand, I've felt His love, and I've witnesses His angels!

1 comment:

  1. Heavenly Father certainly has a plan for all of us. So glad everything is working out.

    ReplyDelete